The Procter & Gamble offices in downtown Cincinnati were closed Wednesday due to security concerns, and a police document says a former employee made threats.
The Kenton County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday it received reports of threats against P&G and passed them on to Cincinnati police.
The Cincinnati Police Department confirmed it was helping P&G with a “security issue,” but as of noon hadn’t released much information about the nature of the situation.
The Enquirer obtained a Cincinnati police “officer safety bulletin” issued on May 17 stating that a Covington man “texted several people to come to P&G and take over.” .
Covington police verified that they received the bulletin from Cincinnati, but said they could not verify the accuracy of the contents of the bulletin.
The Enquirer is not naming the individual because no charges had been filed against him as of Wednesday afternoon.
According to the bulletin, the man’s family told police he suffered from mental illness. He was employed at P&G, but was fired in 2021 for failing to return to the office after the company phased out COVID-19 guidelines that allowed employees to work from home, the document said.
The bulletin says the man has no criminal history but has access to firearms.
“Officers should exercise extreme caution if they come into contact with [the man]“, reads the press release.
The bulletin says it is not intended to be shared outside of law enforcement and “should not be considered a complete detail of information”.
Covington Police say they have had previous contact with the man and are reviewing reported threats.
“He made similar, widespread threats against police and others,” Lt. Col. Brian Valentin said. “These are misdemeanors and were not observed by the police, so he was not charged as required by law in [Kentucky].”
Cincinnati police said Wednesday it was P&G’s decision to close its office on Wednesday.
“In light of a potential safety issue from the Cincinnati police, we closed our downtown offices today out of an abundance of caution,” a P&G spokesperson said in a statement.
P&G contacted police Tuesday night about a security concern at 1 Procter & Gamble Plaza, according to the Cincinnati Police Department.
“With recent incidents surrounding the country, P&G has determined that its employees will not be reporting to work this morning,” Cincinnati police said in a statement. “Currently, there is no reason to believe that there is any correlation between this potential security threat and recent incidents in our country.”
Cincinnati police said multiple law enforcement agencies are investigating the situation.
Around 4,000 employees work at the multinational’s downtown headquarters. Typically, around 50% work from home mid-week.
Maker of consumer staples like Tide laundry detergent, Gillette razors and Pampers diapers, P&G employs 101,000 people worldwide, including 10,000 in Greater Cincinnati.
Never miss a story:Download our app for the latest news