Padres: No cancer found in Melvin’s surgery


The San Diego Padres said Friday that no cancer was found during coach Bob Melvin’s prostate surgery.

Melvin, 60, was discharged from hospital and is resting at home, the team said. He opted for surgery on Wednesday after saying he had been experiencing symptoms since the team returned from a road trip last week.

Melvin had said he hoped to miss only the first six games of the team’s upcoming nine-game road trip, which kicks off Friday night in Atlanta and continues through Philadelphia and San Francisco.

Bench coach Ryan Christenson served as interim coach during Melvin’s absence.

The Padres also said Friday that third baseman coach Matt Williams remains under COVID-19 protocol and hopes to join the team in Philadelphia for a series that begins Tuesday night. First baseman coach David Macias moved to third base and Morgan Burkhart headed in first base as they did Wednesday in a home loss to the Cubs.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.