Marcos chooses Benhur Abalos as interior secretary


(1st UPDATE) ‘Walang listahan,’ says Marcos spokesperson Vic Rodriguez as he denies alleged partial list of Marcos Cabinet members being circulated on social media

MANILA, Philippines — Presumed President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has chosen former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Benjamin “Benhur” Abalos Jr. to be his interior secretary, his camp announced on Tuesday. Friday May 13.

“I am announcing the appointment of President Benhur Abalos to head the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG),” Vic Rodriguez said at a press conference on Friday.

The appointment of Abalos to the post of interior secretary will have to be confirmed by the Appointments Commission (CA) composed of senators and deputies.

Abalos served as Marcos’ campaign manager.

The Secretary of the Interior oversees the Philippine National Police, the Bureau of Prisons Management and Penology, the Bureau of Fire Protection, and the National Police Commission.

Abalos will take over the DILG amid rhetoric from Marcos who seems inclined to continue the crackdown on progressives.

Rodriguez said on Friday that apart from the usual, among the qualifications of a Marcos cabinet member is “hindi kailanman mananawagan ngpapapabagsak ng gobyerno (would never call for the ousting of the government).

Rodriguez also denied circulating the photo on social media showing a partial list of alleged members of the Marcos Cabinet which, incidentally, includes Abalos as head of the DILG and alleged Vice President Sara Duterte as Secretary of State. education.

“There is no truth in this apparent list. List of Walang (There is no list), the only two names we have announced by far are Inday Vice President-elect Sara Duterte for the Ministry of Education and [Abalos]”, Rodriguez said.


Rodriguez said he will lead the transition team of the new Marcos government. Other members of the transition team are Abalos, former Davao del Norte representative Anton Lagdameo, South Cotabato govternor Reynaldo Tamayo Jr., also president of the Partido Federal, and the former representative of Manila, Naida Angping.

Asked to respond to rumors that he would be executive secretary, Rodriguez said: “I am in charge of leading the transition team and that is my task for now.”

Marcos said in a statement on Wednesday May 11 that the economics team is also a priority.

Rodriguez said the Russian government has also communicated officially with the new Philippine government. Marcos had previously had a phone conversation with US President Joe Biden and met with Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Huang Xilian.

In dealing with China

SC, CHR nominations in the air

President Rodrigo Duterte is already shortlisted for a vacancy on the Supreme Court – the 15th position on the bench to replace Senior Associate Justice Estela Perlas Bernabe, who retires on May 14.

Duterte can make the nomination because he is entitled to a midnight nomination, but Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, a member of the Judicial and Bar Council, said the president “can leave it to the new president to make the appointment after June 30.

Rodriguez said that has yet to be discussed, along with nominations to fill the Human Rights Commission (CHR) board, all of which have already reached retirement. It remains unclear whether Duterte’s midnight nominating exemption also covers constitutional commissions such as the CHR.

“Remember, President-elect Bongbong and Vice-President-elect Sara’s terms will begin in the afternoon of June 30, so all that happens now and before noon on June 30 is still administration. of President Duterte, and we will give in to any action he or his cabinet or his governance takes,” Rodriguez said. Rappler.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.