Ford advises 39,000 Expedition and Navigator owners to park outdoors due to fire risk


The specific full-size SUVs in question were all built during a four-month period between Dec. 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021, according to a Ford statement Thursday. So far, 16 of the SUVs have caught fire while parked and turned off. Fourteen of the vehicles belonged to rental fleets while two belonged to retail customers. The automaker said it was aware of an injury apparently resulting from the issue, but provided no further details on the extent of the injury or its circumstances.

Twelve of the fires occurred while the vehicle was parked and turned off, one while the vehicle was parked and turned on and three while it was in motion, according to the company.

The exact cause of the fires, which are believed to have started on the rear passenger side of the engine bay, is still under investigation, Ford said in a statement.

“We are working around the clock to determine the root cause of this issue and the subsequent remedy so customers can continue to enjoy their vehicle,” said Jeffrey Marentic, general manager, Ford Passenger Vehicles.

Owners are not advised to stop driving SUVs, only to move them away from structures when parked.

Ford will begin contacting owners by mail and through their Ford and Lincoln smartphone apps as soon as it determines a list of owners of those specific SUVs, the automaker said in a statement. Owners who think their vehicles might be involved can also call Ford’s toll-free number at 1-866-436-7332, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which oversees vehicle recalls.

Ford will communicate with customers once a solution to the potential problem has been found, the automaker said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.