The latest blow came on Monday, when Carlos Correa tested positive for COVID-19 in the Twins’ 7-5 loss to the Tigers at Comerica Park. The shortstop will have to join frontline starter Joe Ryan and backup outfielder Gilberto Celestino on the COVID injured roster, and the already battered Twins roster will have to dig deeper and deeper to field what will likely be a very tough roster. different from 26 men. in Canada.
Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said Correa began showing symptoms on Sunday and worsened on Monday, with the news coming in Minnesota’s series opener against Detroit. Correa is vaccinated against COVID-19, Baldelli said.
“It’s something every team in the league faces,” Baldelli said. “It doesn’t feel good when it’s your team going through this. It doesn’t look like we were able to shake it off for a little while.
Having three players at a time with COVID is especially difficult in light of the Twins’ other injuries and the fact that President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey indicated on Sunday that the Twins expect to have “a few” players who won’t be able to. continue on the road trip due to Canadian government regulations prohibiting entry to players who have not received the COVID-19 vaccine. Not to mention the fact that the club are currently mired in an 18 game in 17 day streak with no days off.
Correa’s positive test is also particularly inopportune for the Twins as it comes a day after the injury of Royce Lewis, the club’s No.1 prospect and seemingly Major League-ready replacement at shortstop. Lewis had already impressed with a .300/.317/.550 line in a 12-game appearance before suffering a bone bruise in his right knee during a catch in center field on Sunday. The Twins had moved him to different positions around the infield and outfield to find him major league playing time.
For now, the Twins look set to stick with a combination of Jorge Polanco and Nick Gordon at shortstop – although with Celestino sidelined, Gordon is also the main backup centre-back. of the club. If Polanco moves to shortstop — as he did on Monday — it would trigger a ripple effect that would likely slide Luis Arraez to second and tie Jose Miranda to first base.
“We dealt with several keys [in the plans] recently, and it feels like when things happen, they happen in clusters,” Baldelli said. “Honestly, that doesn’t change – you kind of have to be ready for anything. Nothing should surprise you.
Here is an overview of all the recent incidents that led to this current situation:
Baldelli made no indication ahead of Monday’s game that Ryan or Celestino are set to return from COVID IL, and in Ryan’s case, the skipper noted that the right-hander will likely have to move back into the relievers and his recovery schedule. throw before his return, like how Dylan Bundy took the time to get back to full participation after his own battle with COVID-19.
The Twins get a reprieve in the sense that placing a third player on COVID IL gives them the freedom to call up an unlisted player (one not already on 40) to fill Correa’s spot. on the list. They can then remove that replacement player from the 40-man roster without having to expose them to outright waivers, as is normally required in such situations.
Alex Kirilloff, Mark Contreras and Jose Godoy are the only healthy 40-man players at Triple-A St. Paul. Unlisted candidates for Correa could include infielders Jermaine Palacios and Spencer Steer or outfielders Jake Cave, Derek Fisher or Cole Sturgeon.
“It’s a big loss,” Miranda said of Correa. “He’s one of the main parts of the team. But we have to keep living that for the few days that we won’t have him here. We’ll just keep playing as a team and doing the little things.